Some of the wonderful things rattling around in this full brain 'o mine. UPDATED EVERY TUESDAY AND THURSDAY (or at least twice a week)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon interview with screenwriter!

This is a pretty decent interview with David J. Stieve, who wrote "Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon." For those of you who haven't yet checked it out on DVD, it's the best horror film of the year. This interview gives good insight into where they're going next with the character, as well as how he got into screenwriting.

read more digg story


I had to digg the interview with David J. Stieve, but I figured I’d couple it with a short review / recommendation for those of you out there who are horror fans.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon will go down as one of the most original, cool, and funny films of it’s genre…a very close second behind Scream. I have to admit, I didn’t really know much of anything about the film going in. It was out earlier this year, and played for all of one week at a local theater. I saw a banner ad on Aintitcool and thought it looked interesting, and I knew it was a more local product, so I wanted to check it out.

Well, it turned out to be one of the best surprises I’ve had watching films in a long time. You know what I’m talking about, one of those films that just catches you completely by surprised. Somehow you go into the film knowing next to nothing about it, and it ends up being so great that it sticks with you for a long time. I’ve had a couple of those in my lifetime: The Matrix, Equilibrium, Memento, and now Behind the Mask. These are movies that are so incredibly original and well-executed that I forever hold them close to my heart.

I’m not going to go in depth on Behind the Mask, for that would do it an injustice. Suffice to say that the synopsis is of a documentary crew following around a would be killer as he readies for his big night. Go in with nothing more than that, and enjoy the movie.

I would be remiss though not to mention the lead: Nathan Baesel. He hits all the greatest notes, as he seamlessly rolls from comedy to incredibly intense and intimidating. I couldn’t help but explain with joy during the films how many times the main character is just completely and utterly insane…but in a way that is entirely realistic and entertaining.

I give Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon a solid 5 out of 5 *’s. It’s one of the most entertaining and original horror films in years, and would be a solid addition to anyone’s DVD shelf.

No comments: